3 Biggest Mistake Keynote Presenters Make Regularly
- Passion Goes Stale – Over time keynote presenters get tired and their presentation gets repetitive, so they tend to speak more monotone and lack the energy they once had when more fresh. Good keynote speakers present 250-300 times a day, usually in different cities each day. It is a rough schedule and that much travel will wear on anyone. Speakers need to remember why they started speaking and the power of sharing their message.
- Lack Showing Their Personality – Many speakers, beginner and experienced, are too conservative and hide their personality by playing it too safe. A speaker engages the audience with their personality and great speakers are remembered by their message and their personality. Whether you have an accent, an odd upbringing, or a quirky personality — you need to show it off because that is you.
- Speak Generically to Each Audience – After a while, each audience blends into the other and keynote presenters tend to get lazy and say the same thing every time. I understand how it is easier to say the same thing, but it makes presenting dull and why many speakers get stale. While working at the zoo, I did over 1,000 presentations, sometimes six presentations in a single day about the same thing. I had to mix things up for my sanity and, more importantly, for my audience’s sake. You need to tailor your message and presentation to each audience. Luckily, your audience probably won’t vary as much as mine did at the office — from preschoolers to Biology AP high school classes to the elderly. I experimented with what I said and paid attention to how it resonated with each audience, so I could improve my message and make my presentations more effective. (That is how I came up with my Speak Simple Process.)
The most important thing keynote speakers need to do to prevent these mistakes is to stop once-and-awhile to break the mononity, and to remember each audience is unique and need a presentation tailored to them.
- Get my FREE guide, 6 Presentation Strategies to Increase Your Closing Rate 20%!
- Learn more about how my self-guided presentation training curriculum, SpeakU, can help you dramatically increase your effectiveness when speaking and close more deals.
- Follow Speak Simple on Facebook and YouTube for more ways to improve your presentations.
How Speak Simple Can Help You
Win more work, increasing your billing rate, and prospects coming to you are all results of being an excellent presenter. Erica Olson created Speak Simple to help technical professionals to become comfortable presenting and excel at each presentation, whether a bid presentation or an educational, content marketing presentation. Learn more about Speak Simple’s flagship program is SpeakU, a self-guided presentation training program.